Unknown

Dataset Information

0

Truncating Mutations in the Adhesion G Protein-Coupled Receptor G2 Gene ADGRG2 Cause an X-Linked Congenital Bilateral Absence of Vas Deferens.


ABSTRACT: In 80% of infertile men with obstructive azoospermia caused by a congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens (CBAVD), mutations are identified in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator gene (CFTR). For the remaining 20%, the origin of the CBAVD is unknown. A large cohort of azoospermic men with CBAVD was retrospectively reassessed with more stringent selection criteria based on consistent clinical data, complete description of semen and reproductive excurrent ducts, extensive CFTR testing, and kidney ultrasound examination. To maximize the phenotypic prioritization, men with CBAVD and with unilateral renal agenesis were considered ineligible for the present study. We performed whole-exome sequencing on 12 CFTR-negative men with CBAVD and targeted sequencing on 14 additional individuals. We identified three protein-truncating hemizygous mutations, c.1545dupT (p.Glu516Ter), c.2845delT (p.Cys949AlafsTer81), and c.2002_2006delinsAGA (p.Leu668ArgfsTer21), in ADGRG2, encoding the epididymal- and efferent-ducts-specific adhesion G protein-coupled receptor G2, in four subjects, including two related individuals with X-linked transmission of their infertility. Previous studies have demonstrated that Adgrg2-knockout male mice develop obstructive infertility. Our study confirms the crucial role of ADGRG2 in human male fertility and brings new insight into congenital obstructive azoospermia pathogenesis. In men with CBAVD who are CFTR-negative, ADGRG2 testing could allow for appropriate genetic counseling with regard to the X-linked transmission of the molecular defect.

SUBMITTER: Patat O 

PROVIDER: S-EPMC4974083 | BioStudies | 2016-01-01

SECONDARY ACCESSION(S): 219700

REPOSITORIES: biostudies

Similar Datasets

2017-01-01 | S-EPMC5398719 | BioStudies
1000-01-01 | S-EPMC6214919 | BioStudies
2018-01-01 | S-EPMC6305631 | BioStudies
2014-01-01 | S-EPMC4227699 | BioStudies
2018-01-01 | S-EPMC5839696 | BioStudies
2010-01-01 | S-EPMC3739074 | BioStudies
2019-01-01 | S-EPMC6911126 | BioStudies
2018-01-01 | S-EPMC5838132 | BioStudies
2016-01-01 | S-EPMC4989835 | BioStudies
1000-01-01 | S-EPMC5343775 | BioStudies