Dataset Information


Normoalbuminuric kidney impairment in patients with T1DM: insights from annals initiative.



We described, in a large sample of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) and GFR ≤ 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 (with or without albuminuria), the differences in the clinical features associated with the two different chronic kidney disease phenotypes and we investigated, in a subset of patients, the modulating role of albuminuria on kidney disease progression.


Clinical data of 1395 patients with T1DM were extracted from electronic medical records.


Albuminuria was detected in 676 (48.5%) patients, with the remaining 719 (51.5%) patients having normoalbuminuric renal impairment. Those with albuminuria showed an evident worse cardiovascular risk profile as compared to patients with normoalbuminuria. A subgroup of 582 patients was followed up over a 4-year period. One hundred and twenty five patients (21.5%) showed a loss of eGFR > 30%. The proportion of patients reaching the renal outcome was significantly higher among those with baseline albuminuria as compared to patients with normoalbuminuria (P < 0.0001). At the multivariate logistic analysis microalbuminuria, macroalbuminuria and proliferative retinopathy were the only parameters independently associated to eGFR reduction.


The proportion of T1DM patients with normoalbuminuria renal impairment is high (about 50%). These patients have a slower eGFR decline as compared to that observed in patients with albuminuria renal impairment.

PROVIDER: S-EPMC6069993 | BioStudies |

REPOSITORIES: biostudies

Similar Datasets

| S-EPMC6280443 | BioStudies
2016-01-01 | S-EPMC5058807 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC3816854 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC6766169 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8301016 | BioStudies
2013-01-01 | S-EPMC3816871 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC3797878 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7914157 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC6647051 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8060327 | BioStudies