Unknown

Dataset Information

0

Chemotherapy efficacy after first-line immunotherapy in 18 advanced melanoma patients.


ABSTRACT: In BRAF wild type advanced melanoma, immune checkpoint blockers such as anti-PD1 (anti-programmed cell death 1) are usually continued beyond progression for a hypothetical rare further response. Chemotherapy as a second-line option is considered ineffective by many practitioners based on historical data. Continuing anti-PD1 beyond progression has a high health-economic impact and is not recommended by the FDA. This study aimed to describe the efficacy and survival of advanced melanoma patients who received second-line (or more) chemotherapy after immunotherapy failure.This was a retrospective single center study conducted in a French University Hospital during an 11-month period. All advanced melanoma patients treated with chemotherapy after immunotherapy failure were included.Eighteen patients were analyzed. Therapeutic response to chemotherapy was evaluable in 16 patients: partial response was achieved in 3/16 (19%), stable disease in 1/16 (6%) and progressive disease in 12/16 (75%). Median overall survival from chemotherapy start was 12 months. Median progression-free survival was 5.4 months. The 6-month overall survival rate was 81% and the 6-month progression-free survival rate was 40%.Although the disease control rate with chemotherapy was low (25%), survival data in our study are far superior to those previously published. This could be linked to a high proportion of patients treated with anti-PD1 just prior to chemotherapy, which may suggest a potential synergy between immunotherapy and chemotherapy.

PROVIDER: S-EPMC7373626 | BioStudies |

REPOSITORIES: biostudies

Similar Datasets

| S-EPMC7692305 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7227105 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8633880 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8707626 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7352575 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8058866 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7700409 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7831745 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC8764806 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC7409244 | BioStudies