Dataset Information


Characteristics of HER2-negative breast cancers with FISH-equivocal status according to 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline.



According to 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline, HER2 FISH-equivocal breast cancers will be categorized as HER2 negative except those with IHC 3+. However, whether or not HER2 FISH-equivocal breast cancers was a heterogeneous group has not been well illustrated.


195 HER2 FISH-equivocal breast cancer samples were collected from 2014 to 2018. The molecular subtype was identified according to 2013 St Gallen consensus, and HER2 status was also re-determined following 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline. All samples were classified into 4 groups according to the average HER2 copy number (4.0-4.4, 4.5-4.9, 5.0-5.4, 5.5-5.9 signals/cell). The relationship between HER2 copy number and clinicopathological parameters was analyzed.


183 (93.8%) of 195 FISH-equivocal cases were classified as luminal-like subtype, while the other 12 (6.2%) were undetermined. Following 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline, all FISH-equivocal cases were recategorized as HER2 negative. Therefore, 31(15.9%) cases were luminal A-like, 152 (77.9%) were luminal B-like (HER2 negative) and 12 (6.2%) were triple negative. The average HER2 copy number showed a positive correlation with chromosome 17 polysomy, but had no significant association with other clinicopathological parameters as well as prognosis. 17 (8.7%) patients were treated with trastuzumab, but showed no difference in prognosis with those who didn't receive targeted therapy.


In this study, all HER2 FISH-equivocal breast cancers were recategorized as HER2 negative according to 2018 ASCO/CAP guideline. Most of these patients were luminal B-like (HER2 negative). The average HER2 copy number had no significant association with clinicopathological parameters, as well as prognosis.

PROVIDER: S-EPMC8742337 | BioStudies |

REPOSITORIES: biostudies

Similar Datasets

| S-EPMC7660495 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC4221371 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC6715641 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC5600490 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC5347728 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC6439848 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC4086638 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC6110371 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC5074347 | BioStudies
| S-EPMC5711560 | BioStudies